- What we believe
- Spiritual Help
- How we serve
- Christian Aid & Relief
- Adult Discipleship
- Campus Ministry
- Christian Giving
- Congregational Counseling
- Lutheran Schools
- Military Services
- Ministerial Education
- Multi-Language Publications
- Special Ministries
- Women's Ministry
- Youth and Family Ministries
- Northwestern Publishing House
- WELS Administration
- News & Events
- Streams media
- About WELS
WELS endowment funds
WELS endowment funds
Giving is an act of worship, another way to offer your Lord a thankful response for his never-failing gifts. By giving to one of the WELS endowment funds, you are creating a lasting legacy and helping do the Lord's work.
An endowment is a permanent fund in which gifts are invested. The income from the fund is then used to meet ongoing expenses year after year for perpetuity. WELS has two main endowment funds that provide ongoing and increased financial support to synod missions and ministerial education.
So why did WELS establishing these endowments?
1. WELS programs of mission and ministry are long-term programs requiring continuing and predictable financial support. These endowments provide needed financial stability.
2. Economies change. In strong economies gifts increase and ministry expands. In weak economies gifts decrease and ministry is reduced, often adversely affecting what has been accomplished. These endowments provide a needed financial buffer.
3. The ministry and mission programs of WELS are very inflation sensitive. Because items such as health care, utilities, and insurance are rising faster than inflation, cost of maintaining ministry programs rises approximately two percent above inflation annually. These endowments provided needed additional income.
4. Endowments meet the desire of many WELS members. They want to give the Lord substantial gifts through their Christian estate plans. They want WELS to be able to use those gifts wisely. Endowments meet these desires.
How do I include these endowments in my giving?
We welcome all gifts—current and deferred, whatever the size—and give thanks to God for all of them! We continue to emphasize Congregation Mission Offerings and thank you for your support of CMO through your congregation.
This endowment provides direct and indirect financial assistance to students preparing to serve in the public ministry of WELS and to continue the quality training provided by WELS ministerial education schools.
Donations can be made to the fund or sub-funds for the benefit of all ministerial education students and the ministry programs of schools.
This endowment supports the continued proclamation of the gospel to people in our nation and the world by WELS missions programs.
Donations can be made to the fund or sub-funds for the benefit of mission work carried out in North America and the world.
Questions about the endowments? Wondering about tax advantages of giving appreciated properties? Don't know how to put a Christian estate plan in place?
WELS Ministry of Christian Giving can help! Contact a representative toll free at 800-827-5482.